Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sell everything you own

aww, the virgin post. Well here is the thing. If you are like me, awesome, then you hate paying money to people for services that have no future value like rent or power bill. I am so sick of it that I am going to be systematically selling most of what I own so I can buy a RV. I will be living out of said RV and that will reduce my monthly bills by $600 or so. I have had this bug for as long as I can remember; load up into a small RV and just go. I guess it is a wonderlust or need for adventure but whatever the case I will soon be making it reality.

You may or may not be aware that there is a subculture in this country of people who live and work out of their RVs. Once upon a time RVers where just the retired older couples who wanted to enjoy their remaining years. Over the last ten years however the number of young folk who are abandoning the way of life forced on us by society are taking up the RVing lifestyle. Work Campers or Workampers for short are normal people who see no value in paying rent or bills and want to live simply. Workamping is very zen as it forces you to give up on a lot of the things people work so hard to get (i.e.) furniture, big tvs, appliances and so on. Once you live in an RV you are faced with the decision every time you are going to buy something, will this fit in the camper?

I am on my first set in this adventure. I have just sold all my appliances on Craigslist and will soon be getting rid of or selling everything else that I can't fit in the camper. I must sell stuff to afford the down payment on the camper and that is where my first problem came. I was caught in a catch 22 situation. I must save money to buy a camper but until then I still need to pay rent and utilities. The solution was to start saving what I can and sell everything that is of any value and burn the rest. As to date I have saved about $500 and with the $600 from my appliances and another $500 from the ex wife I will only need a little bit more for a $2k down.

I have already picked out the rig at the dealers. She is older but I love the existing layout and once I add my touches it should make for a nice living space. I will post more about her later. I have named her Tortuga. ^_^

So that is the story so far I hope what I learn will help others who are looking to take this adventure on.

2 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you!! You have had this dream for so long and now it's becoming a reality. I wish you the best of luck and will be looking forward to reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited for your new adventure in life! Also, you crack me up. I, like you, am awesome... Can't wait to read more posts.

    ReplyDelete